Header picture

Header picture

9/01/2020

David Landon

Glen and Lorna (Dad and Mom) were the greatest mentors.

I grew up assembling sprinklers, holding a lamp for car repairs, maintaining a swamp cooler on the roof, weeding the garden, planting fruit trees, and much more because Dad said I was big enough to help. One summer, he helped me get ready for a Calculus course I'd be missing every other day. He'd wake me at all hours to pass off a song on the piano or go see the eclipse of the moon or a meteor shower. He showed me violin double-stops and provided an electronics kit and Timex Sinclair 1000 to learn programming in 2 kB of RAM (yes, kilobytes), probably hoping I'd be as passionate about machine language and C-coding as he is. I guess I was a late bloomer on both. One day he came running with me while I ran with the high school team and has kept it up much longer than I could. He'd keep us after ward parties to help clean up, and made helping at the stake tomato farm a highlight of the week. I hope to be more like him when I grow up, helping all the time and writing unforgettable emails.

Mom was the ultimate cheerleader. She helped so much at the schools I attended, that she found opportunities no one else could. She supported me when I spent a summer month in Denver and a half year as an exchange student--an opportunity only she could create when I wasn't selected for an organized program. She switched elementary schools to make sure we were challenged, then carpooled us across town until we filled the car and she had to drive us every day. She found supplies and books to keep up with my merit badge wanderlust as a Boy Scout. She never misses singing to us on birthdays, no matter the distance, and sends Valentines and candy at Halloween and Christmas--always with a chocolate orange and an Advent calendar. She prayed while I was in danger and trusted me to make the right choices. She always wanted us close, but not if that meant clipping our wings. College meant living on campus and attending a student ward, even if we were close enough to come home on weekends. I can't count the times we talked late into the night about exciting or devastating news and about good literature and life lessons as stories. I continue to value our calls and visits, especially for General Conference, reunions and holidays. Now, let's push through this pandemic so my kids can come look for raspberries on their bush and have a push on the swing.

No comments:

Post a Comment