September 4, 1970 - September 4, 2020
Dear Lorna and Glen:
First, a BIG FIVE-O CONGRATS (not Hawaiian TV drama, not number of birthdays, and not number of states in the Union). But congratulations on your half-century of life together! That’s a wonderful milestone.
What? Fiftieth wedding anniversary? Can that be? Your parents barely celebrated theirs (Lorna’s parents had theirs in 1984, and Glen’s must have been around the same time.)
My, but time truly does fly. Why, it was just the other day when Ellen was but a toddler, and Lorna was just a little girl. I remember one time when there were some graham crackers on the carpet floor (Ellen had been having a treat), and Mother asked her older daughter to gather up the remains.
Lorna dutifully began tidying up, but soon paused. “Do I have to pick up the tromps, too?” she asked. “Tromps? What are tromps,” queried her mother. Lorna’s reply was swift. “They’re the crackers the baby’s tromped on.” She was advised that, yes, “tromps” should also be gathered up, but they should be tossed in the trash.
Lorna was born shortly before my 12th birthday, and by the time I graduated from high school, and left for BYU—her last birthday cake (in January) had only six candles on it. Two years later, when I left for Japan, she was eight, and when I returned, she wasn’t quite 11. I then got married, finished two degrees at the “Y,” headed to Detroit for school, later to Nebraska (where I taught for a year), then returned to BYU and Provo in 1966, and four years later, Lorna became a married lady.
As a result, it all seems a blur—with little tidbits of memories scattered here and there—and the blur continues—as you and Glen lived in Provo for a short time, then Salt Lake, Pocatello, and Germany, before returning to Utah’s Capital City. With all of those moves, Lorna has been a trooper. Additionally, she is a talented, involved, and highly motivated individual.
As a youth, unlike Connie, I didn’t have interactions with the Landons. When I was in high school, I knew Glen’s father, or at least knew of him—since he taught Ag classes at UHS (although I never had a class from him), and I didn’t meet my future brother-in-law until some time later.
I’ve always been impressed with Glen’s knowledge and abilities. When faced with a technical, mechanical, or other challenges or problems, he always reads up on it, tackles it, and triumphs in the end. That’s a wonderful attribute. More importantly, however, the way he treats his wife, relatives, neighbors, and everyone else with whom he comes in contact is a model for us all.
The two of you make a great couple. You contribute to the Church, community and family. You are dedicated and serve well, and above all, you have a wonderful family, and a great posterity! Thanks for being our Sister and Brother!
Congratulations to you both, and in the words of Commander Spock, “Live Long and Prosper!"
No comments:
Post a Comment